Sunday, June 29, 2014

Focus: The Clarisonic

First off, I must apologize for being M.I.A. this past week. Last time I checked, I didn't want to be an adult yet, but alas this week I had to put my big girl panties on and go into work. A lot. I applaud those who go to work everyday and still manage to smile and not die from exhaustion--you go girl. 



But I digress. This post will be all about The Clarisonic. Now, if you follow any person in the beauty world here on the internets, 9/10 have one. Essentially, it is a cleansing brush that moves "300x/second to thoroughly clearing pores and skin's surface." Or, to the layman, it vibrates very quickly and feels like a light massage on the skin. The vibrations will bring blood to the surface of the skin, which also allows for better absorption of moisturizers/serums/acne products, etc. 

But is it all worth it? In a nutshell, YES, but for a bit more than normal. The price tag for the cheapest is $99, with some going high into the $200s. I personally have the mia (the cheapest), which is one speed. Other models are bigger and offer 2 speeds; I find that the one speed is fine, but some might want the option of two. Wouldn't it be nice if they could send you home with a sample? You technically can buy and return it without a question with in a month or so at Sephora, but come on, it's not like returning a bad mascara or foundation. 

I feel like the second this hit the market, it was immediately followed by 1001 similar brushes claiming to do the same thing "at a fraction of the cost!"--but let's be honest, some looked like glorified toothbrushes. This is the OG, and thus deserves the respect of one of it's station. If the price of it seems a little staggering, remember, it is a one time purchase; I have had mine for nearly two years and it still works as well as it did one the first day. I should warn you that due to the deeper cleanse it gives, your skin will go through a "purge" for the first couple of weeks of use. I experienced more spots than normal for about two weeks, but by the end of the month most of it was healed. 


As for how it preforms, the charge lasts for about two weeks. Furthermore, each use goes for about a minute or so, allowing you enough time to cleanse the whole face. It is timed for a reason--overusing this can be too harsh on the skin. Some of the models actually pulse after a certain amount of seconds, indicating that you should move on to another section of your face. To use it, just lather up your face soap as normal, wet the brush head and shake off the excess water, and go to town. Super duper simple. 

As I mentioned before, it is completely worth the investment. Some might be thinking that it is only geared towards younger skin, but that is not the case. I have met plenty of women who have mature skin who swear by it as well. To be honest, around Fall/Winter 2013, I stopped using it, simply because I was a lazy teenager. For about a month I went without it, and then one night I decided to use it on a whim. The next morning I woke up to a nice glow, something that I thought was strictly reserved for magazine ads. However, the next day I left for Christmas vacation, and didn't think to bring it with me. Each day I could see my skin getting duller and duller and I was inwardly kicking myself, wishing that I had brought it with me. Now I use it everyday, and on the days I skip it or it isn't charged, I feel as if I am doing my skin a disservice. 


My only gripe about the Clarisonic is that you have to replace the heads on it every 3 months. I personally stretch mine a lot longer, simply because they aren't cheap. At all. A single runs for $27, and a two pack is $50. You can pay $75 for four and not repurchase for a year, but still, let's make them a little cheaper, please. As a former high school/future college student, I am not made of money. Hows about we slash that price in half, Clarisonic? But again, I digress. The Clarisonic comes with the sensitive brush head, but I personally use the deep cleansing head and see much better results. Many people claim that this is too harsh, and I would only recommend it for young, oily/acneic skin. They also make one for acneic, delicate, and normal skin, along with a larger head for the body. 



All in all, all the pros outweigh the one con. Run, don't walk, to your nearest Sephora and pick one up--your skin will be doing a happy dance the first time you use it. 


Happy washing!


Stay Excellent, 

Allie

No comments :

Post a Comment

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme