Sunday, June 15, 2014

My Two Cents: Recent Purchases

As promised, here are my thoughts on my recent purchases from Lush and The Body Shop. Unfortunately, it seems that things didn't particularly swing in my favor this go around, but as your best girlfriend I am being completely honest with you. But, stay tuned this week because there will be new products to test and review!

If you read my post about the things I bought from Lush, you would know that I was crazily obsessed with trying the solid shampoos. Do they live up to the hype? Will this gimmick actually work? In my case, its an uneasy "yeah" said with zero eye contact. I wanted them to work,
I weally weally did. However, they ended up falling short. 


I must say that when using both of them, they lathered very quickly--right on par with liquid shampoo. However, when using Seanik in particular little bits of what I am guessing is seaweed (the tiny green flecks within the bar) kept falling out, and getting mixed up in the lather. Some stayed behind in my hair until I combed it out (yuck) and others stuck to the sides of my shower and to forcibly be removed by elbow grease (double yuck). This problem wasn't so bad with Godiva, which was a welcome respite. Also, the scent was really lacking. Godiva stuck around for a while, but Seanik disappeared within my fifteen minute shower. This was disappointing, because Lush's Big sticks around in your hair until you tell it to leave. 

But let's get to brass tacks, shall we? They cleaned my hair. Well? Eh, not really. By the end of the first day, my hair was a little too greasy for my liking and norm. This is saying something because since it is summer, I no longer have to get up at 6 to wash my hair. Instead, I showered around noon and checked my hair around eleven that evening. If my hair looked this bad after half a day of mundane activities, I can't imagine what it would look like after a full day of work or school. 

In a nutshell: Pass on this one. 

Next came my Body Shop purchases. Unfortunately, it seemed that the only product that wanted to be my friend was the Raspberry Scrub; we are currently in the midst of a passionate affair (hehe). The other ones, unfortunately, didn't want to be seen with me. 

Let's start with the masks, in particular the Ionic clay mask. I was expecting BIG things from this, but it fell extremely short. I didn't feel it working as many of the other reviews claimed, and I wasn't blown away by the look of my skin the next day. I have other masks that work much better (one that I will be sharing coming up soon!), and this paled in comparison. The Aloe Mask was much of the same; good, but not great. My skin did feel moisturized, yet most of my redness stayed behind.

In a nutshell: Pass on this one.


I must admit, I was uneasy about the All-in-One concealer almost right off the bat. It seemed a little too yellow for the under eye area, but I still thought I should give it a go. I have been using it everyday this pass week, and I don't see amazing results with it. My under eye area isn't super dark, yet I still had some difficultly covering it up. Also, as you know, I am eighteen and thus do not have many fine lines around my eyes. However, within the 10 minutes of applying this concealer and then powdering down, it had settled into the few lines I do have. Not a good look. So this leads me to believe that anyone over the age of twenty should steer clear of this; it is waaaay too emollient. Essentially, I think the name of this concealer is misleading; it really isn't an all-in-one. It would work on the face (if you have dry/normal skin), but that's about it. 


In a nutshell: Pass on this one. 


Alas, we have reached the beacons amongst this review, the first being The Body Shop's seaweed toner. It actually kept my oil at bay much longer than Clinique, and didn't dry my skin out like Clinique, either (I use Formula 3, combination/oily skin toner). The best part? A little goes a long way. The first time I used it I almost completely saturated the pad; this turned out to be way too much. The following times I used half the amount, and it was perfect. If you use it sparingly, I see this lasting for a long time, nearly a whole season. 


In a nutshell: Yes, please. 




And finally, the pièce de résistance, Lush's Black Angel's Scrub. Oh ma gah. As I mentioned before, the smell leaves much to be desired. Getting past that, this stuff is a pot o' (black) gold. I noticed immediate results in my skin the first time I used this; it was cleaner, and dare I say brighter, than it had ever looked before. Over the past week or so I have noticed a significant difference in my skin, no doubt do in part to this (and the normal amounts of sleep I'm finally getting haha). Much like with the seaweed toner, you don't need much of this at all--just about a dime size pinch is all you need to cleanse the whole face. If you are on the fence about purchasing it due to the somewhat large price tag, I'll admit that even thought I've used it for nearly two weeks, it looks like I haven't even made a dent in it. Again, I see this lasting for absolute ages.

In a nutshell: Yes, please. I'll even take seconds. 


Stay Excellent, 

Allie 


No comments :

Post a Comment

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme