Thursday, June 19, 2014

The Succotash Mask: Skin Care Pt. III

After reading that title, I bet you have a serious WTF sign flashing on your forehead. But bear with me; have I ever led you astray? 
From my Polyvore account

As you know, my skin is an six-year-old boy. It gets dirty very easily, and gets angry (I'm looking at you, chin zits) with little to no warning. For years I tried finding a mask that would help deep clean it,all to little avail. I dropped variedamounts of money, like $3.99 on Queen Helene's Mint Julep mask to upper $20s on Clinique masks.



When I was 15/16, I threw myself into finding quality products for my skin. And alas, one fateful day I came across the Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay mask. After reading reviews and watching YouTube videos singing its praises, I immediately purchased it to see what all the fuss was about. Within one use, I began a passionate love affair that still goes on to this day. I call this my succotash mask (an ode to Grandma Eileen who has been making succotash for 50+ years)--anything can be added to it. I added ingredients that would benefit my skin, but some of them can be taken out, or it can just be used plain. 

It's a pretty simple recipe, but nevertheless here it is in all it's glory: 

-1 Tablespoon of the clay powder (Fun fact-- I didn't know that it was actually powder inside the container when I first bought it. Needless to say there was a bit o' a mess.)
-1 Tablespoon WARM water (this helps it mix together much more easily than cold water)
-A squirt of Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner (super moisturizing and smells of a dozen fresh roses--a must for those making this with dry skin)
-5-8 drops of Tea Tree Oil (optional--should only be used by acneic/combo/oily skin types.

I simply mix this all together until smooth and apply to skin. If some of the products don't suit your fancy, either leave them out or find different ones to mix in. 

So the oddest part of this mask? IT PULSATES. Yep, you heard me. You can feel it pulsating on your face, like a suction cup. In my head, it proves to me that it is working; and once the pulsating subsides (20-30 min), I scrub it off. 

My only gripe about this mask is that it is kind a rough one when it comes to getting it off. I would recommend going in your shower, because my sink looks like a mold museum when I rinse it off there. I use a gentle face brush (The Body Shop makes one for ~$3) to help get the rougher bits off. Also, slight redness of the skin will be noticeable right after removal; this generally goes away in twenty minutes, and it's completely gone by the next day. 

Happy Masking!

Stay Excellent,
Allie


No comments :

Post a Comment

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme