Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Dry Shampoo, A Love Story (And Step-by-Step Guide)


Do you ever discover something and wonder how you functioned without it for so long? Enter dry shampoo three years ago. I was at the peak of incorrectly washing my hair everyday, and it was as straw-like, dull, and as knotty as a fine-chained necklace. But once I started working at the salon and picking up on pearls of wisdom, something that was mentioned over and over again was try to extend the time between washes.


So, of course, I immediately began my trek to find the best dry shampoo. After trying (dare I admit) nearly ten types of dry shampoo, I felt like I had hit a wall. I was using the aerosol kind, which let's be honest, is only good for half the bottle before the actual powder itself is used up. The other problem was that I had fallen in love with Batiste, but I'll be damned if the Fresh scent wasn't the most difficult thing to find in my area.

 It seemed all hope was lost until I stumbled across Oscar Blandi's Pronto Dry Shampoo, a non-aerosol powder that spoke to my high school budget heart. Although priced at $21 (but on Amazon for about half that), it seemed like the most economic choice to make. It was simply a 2.5 oz. bottle, fitted with a tapered nozzle, filled nearly to the brim with actual dry shampoo, not a whole lotta aerosol and a little powder. It smelled like lemons and promise, and it seemed my search could finally end. Fast forward to May 2015, and my life suddenly comes to a halt; the day had finally came when having my beloved Blandi easily accessible was a thing of the past. For some reason, it is now nowhere near as easy to find it, and even Sephora stopped selling the large bottles. So began my quest again, first trying Lush's No Drought (a bust), then Not Your Mother's Clean Freak Dry Shampoo. The latter was an aerosol I tried in my beginner's stage, and also something at one time I thought I would never return to. Interestingly, it ended up causing a weird reaction to my scalp, something that has N-E-V-E-R happened to me with either haircare or cosmetics, and certainly never happened when I had used it two years prior.

But I digress. Last week as a last ditch effort, I decided to try CLEAN's dry shampoo, despite less-than-stellar reviews on Sephora's website (most seemed kinda ridiculous, to be honest). After finding it for the cheap-cheap on Amazon and testing it out over the past couple of days, I can say I have easily found a new favorite. An ounce more of product is included in this bottle, and it has a soapy scent to kill for. Indeed, now all is well.

So here is the advice I heed to all in search of a dry shampoo, straight and to the point:

-Non-aerosol is the way to go (you'll get your money's worth buying just buying the straight powder)
-Buy smaller bottles first--nearly all non-aersol shampoos come in two sizes, and thus can be tested before buying the big kahuna
-APPLY THE NIGHT BEFORE--if you have fine hair, do not wait until the morning of your second or third day hair (it will be too late). Run it over the scalp the night before, brush through, then put in a twist on top of your head. Done.
-If you have dark hair, especially heed the tip above--overnight the powder will both absorb and shake off, so in the morning you will not have to deal with parliament hair.

Happy reading!



Stay Excellent, 
Allie 


No comments :

Post a Comment

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme