Sunday, November 23, 2014

Sibling Rivalry

The Revlon ColorStay family has long been disputed as the number one, most comprehensive drugstore foundation around. So I decided to put it to the test. When it came to the liquid vs. the whipped, who is the favorite child in my eyes? Read on to find out!


So a few basics first:


The versions I tested: ColorStay Whipped and ColorStay for Combo/Oily Skin


Have I tried these before? Yes, both back in high school, with the liquid version coming first, then being followed by multiple high end foundations, and finally to the ColorStay Whipped


Why test them again? Because my skin changed...HARDCORE. So long, never-have-to-moisturize, oily-beyond-compare skin! Hello, dry patches!


What Shade am I using? Bronze Goddess Divine...Jokes--110 Ivory (what else is new)


What brush am I using to apply? Real Techniques Stippling or Expert Face Brush...either works wonderfully.


So let's start with the OG...Revlon ColorStay for Combo/Oily Skin:


Back at my oiliest, this would not do so well in terms of lasting the whole day. However, now that my oil production has relaxed quite a bit, I can now use this more often. It has a slight sheen, but once powdered down it goes away. I tend to like the glowy look around my cheeks, so I tend not to powder there, but sometimes I'll powder all over without a problem. It provides a medium coverage, and what it doesn't cover I use Maybelline's SuperStay concealer (insert heart-eyes emoji here) in Ivory.

As for oil control, I stay pretty matte for five hours, but if I plan on wearing it for more than just the typical school day, I have to blot and powder quickly before going out again. To me, this is not an issue, because I've had to deal with oily skin my entire life. In short, this is my super cold weather foundation, when I need my skin to have a bit more moisture. It gets a tad too dewy for my liking when its hot out, but it stays perfect during 20-30 degree weather.

And the New Kid: Revlon ColorStay Whipped:

When this came out about three years ago, I immediately bought it but never used it. I picked it up again towards the end of Senior year, and it was the answer to my prayers: perfect finish with great oil control. To this day, I use it daily and even have it on right now, if we are being completely honest. It has a bit more coverage than the Revlon ColorStay liquid formula, and I think this is just due to the liquid vs. whipped consistency.
I must advise you to tread lightly with this foundation if you have dry skin. My chin and mouth are extremely dry, and I have to deeply moisturize and prime before wearing this foundation, at the risk of it flaking away toward the end of the day around my mouth. That being said, this foundation actually looks better the longer you wear it. It melts into the skin, giving the perfect soft focus look.


All in all: Revlon ColorStay Whipped takes the 1st place prize in my heart. However, I still adore both, and recommend that you pick up both if you are completely unsure. The shade range stays consistent through the different formulations, and both are great additions to your collection. Brava, Revlon. You're the real MVP.


Stay Excellent,

Allie




No comments :

Post a Comment

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme