Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Gel Nails: Are they worth it?

Recently, a friend of mine was thinking about getting gel for the first time and asked me about my experience with it. I thought, hey, I bet others have questions just like her and thus this post was born. So here are the things that you need to know:





-They cost about 2x as much as a normal manicure. At the spa that I go to it's $45 for gel, $25 for a regular manicure.

-They will last for a good week to 10 days, depending on how much you work with your hands. I asked one of the nail technicians about this, and she said that she has some clients who have them last about a month, yet they do very little manual labor. From my perspective, the average student with a job, 10 days was my max. To make it last longer, you can apply cuticle oils and what not, but I was never too concerned with that.

-Choose your color wisely. Whenever I get gel, I always get a French manicure. Why? The light pink blends pretty well with my natural nail color, so regrowth isn't as noticeable. However, I find that getting dark or bright colors make regrowth much more obvious, but to each their own. 

-Allot about an hour of time for your service. I find that these tend to take a little more time than normal manicure, but only by about 10-15 minutes. Maybe this is just because I am getting a French, or maybe because they have to work harder because I have man hands. 

-This is a special occasion/vacation treatment. I have had gel nails a total of five times over the past two years, with each time being for a special occasion (vacation, weddings, etc.). I would highly advice you NOT to get this done regularly, simply because it has an adverse affect on nails if done too often. Essentially, with removal, it takes off a layer of nail and can be detrimental to nail health and strength. Now, I don't want to scare you away from this, just chose wisely when you want to get them done. As Donna would say, "treat yo self". 

-Tip a little bit more. I've heard it said that for nails, you should generally tip 10%. However, I would suggest tipping a little bit more (15-20%), simply because it is a more high quality service. Of course, this is just my opinion, but I would definitely recommend giving more especially if you get a french. 



Stay Excellent, 
Allie

No comments :

Post a Comment

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme