Saturday, July 19, 2014

Mixing Foundations

Mixing foundations has been a trick of mine for years. Whether its to add some coverage, darken or lighten the shade, or prolong oil control, mixing foundations can help create the perfect blend for your skin. 

There are a few basics that you should know first before diving in completely.
First, make sure that the foundations are  compatible with each other. For instance, I wouldn't mix a serum foundation (like Josie Maran's Matchmaker Serum Foundation) with a water-based foundation (MAC Face and Body or Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua), simply because it would be like mixing oil and water. This step isn't particularly hard, because most foundations are oil free. However, I would try to keep the finishes of the foundations as close as possible--matte goes with matte, natural goes with natural, dewy goes with dewy. You can try to mix it up (i.e. matte with natural), but I would not recommend mixing the two extremes (matte and dewy). 

As for mixing foundations to lighten or darken the shade, the system is quite simple. If you have a foundation that needs to be darker, just purchase another foundation in a shade that is one or two shades darker. Generally, when I need to buy a second foundation it tends to be from the drugstore and thus, cheaper. One of my favorites to use as an add-in is Drew Barrymore's Flower BB cream, and I found that the shade BB3 is perfect for making a foundation darker. If you don't have super oily skin like me, using L'Oreal's True Match foundations work wonders, due to huge shade range. You could buy shade W/C/N 5, 6, or 7 and it would work just the same as Flower. When you go to mix, use 2 parts foundation, 1 part mix-in. 

P.S. If you are trying to make your foundation darker to match a tan (real or fake), follow up with a darker powder, as well. L'Oreal True Match Powders are my favorite, and have a plethora of colors to choose from. At my tannest (with fake tan), I used MUFE Mat Velvet in shade 40, mixed with a little bit of Flower BB Cream in BB3, and finally True Match Powder in either N4 or N5. 

Of course, it is easier to make a foundation darker, but for those who are extremely fair like me, making it lighter might seem nigh on impossible. If you are really struggling to make your foundation match you, higher end make-up brands like Illamaqua and MAC make white mix-ins. And when I say white, I mean WHITE; they essentially look like white-out. I personally have never had to resort to them (although many a time I have contemplated a purchase), instead opting to blend the foundation all the way down my neck and using a lighter powder (like L'Oreal True Match Powder in N1). If you plan on using it, just bear in mind that it should be used VERY sparingly. I would suggest mixing three parts foundation one part mix-in for starters and then perhaps adding more to suite your fancy. 


Currently, I am doing the whole mixing business with two of my staple products Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + and Benefit's Big Easy. I honestly have been having major feelings about these two--they definitely belong together. Of course, I love Big Easy on its own, but when I want a little more oomph and coverage, mix it with Mat Velvet creates a match made in heaven. I find that Mat Velvet can be a little too drying (and a tad heavy) on its own so adding Big Easy adds the perfect amount of moisture (although still oil controlling). As for shades, I am using Big Easy in "Fair" and Mat Velvet in Shade 20. 

Have you tried mixing foundations before? If so, what are your thoughts on it? 

Happy mixing!

Stay Excellent, 
Allie 

No comments :

Post a Comment

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme